As an outgrowth of the Lancers Club, the Alpha Upsilon Chapter of Phi Epsilon Pi was founded on Febuary 13, 1949 on the campus of then - Memphis State College. Phi Ep was one of the fraternities that would eventualy merge into Zeta Beta Tau. The original Gamma Mu Chapter of ZBT was installed in 1965 at then - MSU. They had a house on Midland next door to the property where Hillel currently stands.
In 1969, the men of Gamma Mu won the Lee Dover Award for Outstanding General Chapter Programming from ZBT HQ. They were also leaders on campus, with brothers such as Bruce Robins serving as SGA President, Hal Price as VP of the SGA, and several members as President of IFC. With the Vietnam War and the shift in focus to serving our country, fraternity membership across the country dropped in the 1970s and many chapters closed their doors as a result. ZBT was one of those hit hard.
On October 24, 2006 the Gamma Mu Chapter of ZBT was re-colonized at the University of Memphis. In 2009, we received chapter status. By 2011, we had moved into our current property at 3604 Midland Ave.
Since our re-colonization, the organization has grown tremendously. We have achieved a great deal in the areas of recruitment, philanthropy, community service, and campus involvement, with brothers serving as SGA Presidents, Frosh Camp Counselors, Orientation Guides, and more.
Lee Dover Award for Overall Chapter Programming
Highest Greek GPA ever recorded at the University of Memphis
Football Homecoming Parade float: 2nd place
Runner up for National Lee Dover Award for Chapter Programming
Follies: Third Overall and won several individual awards
Alpha Gamma Delta's Mr. U of M
Most Improved IFC chapter
Top three in intramural sports